Physical data modeling uses data modeling to create a data model for the data that will be kept in a database. It theoretically represents the rules and relationships between various data items and data objects themselves. Data design tools make it easy to establish the ideal data structure for your needs by allowing you to build a database structure from diagrams. The list of top data modeling tools is provided here, together with recent download links and information on their most commonly used features. Both commercial (charged) and open-source (free) applications are included in the list.
Describe a data model
A data model organizes various data pieces and uniformizes their relationships with one another and with the attributes of actual entities. Data modeling is, thus, logically, the process of producing such data models. Entities are the concepts and things whose data we wish to track, and entities make up data models. They then develop into tables that may be found in databases. Potential entities include buyers, sellers, manufacturers, and goods. Every object contains characteristics, which are specifics that consumers wish to monitor. A customer’s name, for instance, is an attribute.
20 best data modeling tools
Some of the top data modeling tools are listed below:
The best business-driven data architecture solution is ER/Studio. It integrates corporate metadata, business process modeling, and multi-platform data modeling for all sizes of enterprises. You can use ER/Studio
- To lay a strong basis for data governance, map out your complicated data environment.
- Track the complete data lifecycle and inventory your current data assets and sources.
- Indicate the sensitive data items that require extra security to resist audits.
- Also, use logical data models to document and make hierarchical structures for JSON, MongoDB, and Google BigQuery.
- Create a unified data architecture that includes data in use, data in transit, and data at rest.
For any SQL, NoSQL, or cloud database, DbSchema is a visual database builder and manager. The tool can be used to generate HTML5 diagram documentation, visually examine data and create queries, visually design and interact with database schema, design the schema in a team and deploy it on multiple databases, and much more.
- Create a schema together and apply it to several databases.
- Compare various schema revisions and produce migration scripts.
- HTML5 documentation has a lot of different features, such as interactive diagrams, Relational Data Explorer and Visual Query Builder Schema Synchronization, Random Data Generator, Data Loader, and Database Reports.
- Using autocompletion, SQL Editor
diagrams, data visualizations, and flowcharts for the business process model, ConceptDraw ConceptDraw DIAGRAM offers a variety of business-specific add-ons.
- Strong and extensive sketching tools are included in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM version 12.
- It helps you strengthen presenting skills and boost communication processes.
- You may utilize live object technology to track and use highly essential business KPIs.
#4) Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin is a tool for data modeling that may be used to generate conceptual, physical, and logical data models. Some of the greatest data may be created with this method by starting with a physical model.
- It allows you to model any data from anywhere.
- It offers commercial and technical users centralized model management and collaboration.
- To improve data quality, the tool takes advantage of business data standards.
- An intuitive graphical interface is available in the Erwin Data Modeler.
- The model and database are compared automatically.
- Synchronize data definition code forward and reverse in an efficient manner.
- For precise modeling, it enables you to pull data from CRM, ERP, etc.
Archi offers corporate architects and modelers a cost-effective solution. It facilitates architecture analysis, description, and visualization across business domains.
- All ArchiMate elements may be easily and rapidly created in ArchiMate views.
- Because ArchiMate has dynamic views, you can change the way you see things at any time.
- You may get the element information right away thanks to the hints view.
- This program shows a radial tree that shows all of the connections between the selected model element and other model elements.
- Using this data modeling tool, you may generate ideas.
- You can use the tool to create and modify your canvas.
#6) SQL DBM
The SQL DBM tool makes it easy to design your database on any browser. It works without any other database engines, database modeling tools, or apps.
- With large and small databases and data models, they may be managed with ease.
- You can import an already-existing database schema.
- Using this program, you may add a database, tables, their columns, and relationships to an ERD, or physical representation of your database.
#7) Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
Systems Enterprise Architect is a tool for making diagrams that can be used to model, create, and manage object-oriented features.
- This aids in efficient project management.
- It provides a model repository with good performance.
- It provides full traceability.
- Strong document generation
#8) Toad Data Modeler
Toad is a data modeling tool that uses considerable automation, simple processes, and built-in knowledge to enhance productivity. The highest standards of quality are supported, and code modification is managed by this software.
- With just one click, you can export important data to an Excel file and use it right away to analyze it.
- By comparing and synchronizing servers, data, and schemas, it can quickly spot discrepancies.
- When rolling back transactions directly from the transaction log, there is no need to restore from a backup.
- Obtain strong query tuning abilities.
- Run scripts and T-SQL snippets on a variety of servers and instances.
- Automate tedious tasks like data comparisons and schema comparisons.
- Receive free performance health assessments that include community benchmarks.
- Automated query rewrites and optimization can be used to tune applications.
PgModeler is an open-source database modeling tool with a user-friendly interface. The user creates operators, functions, and language for this tool, which permits the development of the most fundamental objects, such as a single column.
- PgModeler also has a feature for geographic data types and a user interface that can be used in more than one language.
- It is one of the best open source tools for data modeling because it automatically makes constraints and columns.
- The tool uses reverse engineering to build a reliable model from an existing database.
- It gives full access to both its source code and any created files’ contents.
- In the event of failure, you can recover earlier work.
- It contains a validation mechanism that automatically creates a database model without errors.
- The majority of its features are customizable.
- Use SQL scripts to synchronize the model and database.
- It uses the Command Line Interface to automate tasks (CLI).
- You can report models to a SQL file, a PNG file, or a PostgreSQL server directly.
#10) DeZign for Databases
With the Dezign tool, you can look at your data structures to build new databases and understand the ones you already have.
- It offers developers a reliable and user-friendly data modeling tool.
- You may create an entity relationship diagram visually with this tool (ERD).
- Use the Pan and Zoom window to move around a huge diagram.
- A variety of data modeling strategies are supported.
GenMyModel started developing data modeling software that works with BPMN and ArchiMate (an architecture modeling language) (Business Process Model and Notation). It offers a centralized repository concept that makes cooperation simple and efficient.
- Combining the strength of desktop modeling tools with a cutting-edge online solution aids you.
- Utilize versioning and access the right management to share your expertise.
- It allows you to import or export a document straight as a PDF.
- useful for management and project stakeholder presentations.
#12) Valentina Studio
Valentina Studio is a free application for setting up and managing MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, and MariaDB databases. You may add and remove groups and users, adjust access, see live logs, and conduct diagnostics with this tool.
- The tool allows for modification and diagramming of schemas.
- It offers several Valentina forms so you can deal with your data.
- reports that may be designed and printed.
- In charge of SQL queries
- Data can be analyzed, duplicated, defragmented, reindexed, dumped, and compressed.
#13) Software Ideas Modeler
User stories, flowcharts, support for wireframes, and modeling languages like UML, BPMN, SysML, and ArchiMate are all included in the smart diagram program called Modeler.
- Diagrams and layouts that are simple to use
- Keep track of your software.
- Use cases are simple to recognize and explain.
- The tool has a diagram of a user interface that you can use to make wireframes, mock-ups, and drafts of your application forms.
#14) Visible Analyst
You may construct e-business applications, create a data warehouse, or combine old systems with new enterprise applications with the Visible Analyst program. This technology streamlines the data analytics process.
- It is capable of strong modeling.
- SQL and XML schemas may be generated.
- Reverse and forward database engineering are available with this database modeling tool.
- It helps to store and document information that application developers can use to share data, procedures, and other things across the organization.
#15) Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
Software called Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler boosts productivity and makes many data modeling chores easier.
- Relational, multi-dimensional, and data type models can all be created and edited.
- It is capable of both forward and reverse engineering.
- The tool uses source code management to allow collaborative development.
- It is one of the greatest free data modeling tools available and can be applied in both on-premises and cloud settings.
#16) IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
The IBM InfoSphere Data Architect is a data modeling tool that makes data integration architecture for business intelligence and statistics simpler and faster. One of the greatest data modeling tools for coordinating processes, services, applications, and data structures is
- The tool enables quick and simple development.
- It helps you understand your data assets so you can be more productive and get your product to market faster.
- Team communication and integration are available through InfoSphere Data Architect.
- Custom mapping can be imported or exported.
- By examining the metadata, the program automatically determines the structure of diverse data sources.
- using Microsoft Team Foundation Server for source control (TFS).
- Both logical and physical data models can be developed.
- It enables integration with related products like the query workload tuner and data studio.
A program for database creation and synchronization, it allows cross-platform and cross-database operations. You can change the database right on your own made diagram using this tool.
- You can select from a variety of ER notations.
You may produce an HTML document.
- In this data modeling program, the navigator window lets you work with a large diagram.
- Columns may be added easily and rapidly.
- With only one mouse click, the program creates DDL SQL scripts for updates.
- Reverse engineering of an existing database is provided.
- It uses a single license to support Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.
- In the SQL editor, the syntax is highlighted, and the code for the program is automatically filled in.
#18) DTM Data Modeler
For database developers, DTM Data Modeler is a data management tool that supports both forward and reverse engineering. You may deal with logical and physical data models with this tool.
- The well-known entity-relationship modeling notation is provided.
- For stored procedures, triggers, and indexes, editors are available.
- Both the DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server databases are available for use.
- The IDAPI, ODBC, Oracle, or OLE DB interfaces are supported by this utility.
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all supported by the DTM Data Modeler utility. DbDesigner.net
DbDesigner.net is a tool for designing and modeling database schemas online. As a result, you can build a database without writing a single line of SQL code.
- Its modeling user interface is pleasant.
- It is a reliable and quick tool for designing databases. You can import an already-made database or start from scratch.
- The tool enables team communication and project sharing inside your company.
The first full version for professional modeling is a magic sketch. This desktop program stands out from the competition as a proprietary with high expectations because of its contemporary style and simple interface.
- We continually develop new features in response to consumer feedback.
- Floating licenses can save you a lot of money if you need to use MagicDraw for a certain amount of time with more than one developer.
- Once acquired, the program can be used in a variety of applications.
- The Magic Draw professional team provides free help every day.
- The learning process is simple, and it takes little time.
What Are the Best Tools for Data Modeling?
Some of the top data modeling tools are listed below:
DbSchema, Archi, Sparx Systems, Toad Data Modeler & ER/Studio
Oracle SQL Developer for IBM InfoSphere What are the tools for data modeling?
Data modeling tools are software programs that make it simpler to develop the ideal data structure for your needs by assisting you in building database structures from diagrams. Users of these tools can make infographics, diagrams, data visualizations, and flowcharts that are perfect for the business world.