Hey guys, have you recently encountered error code 0x800f0988 while updating your Windows 10 PC? If yes. Then you’re at the correct place; our troubleshooting guide will assist you in finding a proper solution or workarounds to error 0x800f0988 on Windows 10.
Before we move on to see the different fixes and solutions, let’s get a brief understanding of the error code 0x800f0988 first.
What is Error Code 0x800f0988 On Windows 10?
Microsoft released the KB4532693 update earlier in Feb 2020, for Windows 10 to fix the Start menu and File explorer search issues. Unluckily, the update caused enormous trouble to the users & prevented them from installing the update.
Besides, it is reported that the error code 0x800f0988 can affect the overall performance of your device, including Startup problems, Wi-fi issues, and can also result in BSOD problems. If you need to install the Windows update on your device, refer to our step-to-step guide to solve the issues related to it.
How to fix the Error Code 0x800f0988 on Windows 10 PC? Simple & Effective Solutions
In case the Windows update error has been nagging you for a long time, refer to our solution or workaround to resolve all error code 0x800f0988 related problems.
1. Run Windows Update TroubleShooter
This one offers an easy way to resolve various Windows update related errors. Follow the below mentioned quick & simple steps to fix corrupted files.
1. Tap on the Start Menu and then open the Settings app.
2. Now select the Update & Security tab.
3. Afterward, select the Troubleshoot option from the left-pane of your window.
4. Then scroll through the right pane and locate the Windows Update option.
5. Tap on the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ option.
6. Wait till the process completes.
Finally, restart your PC, then check if the error code still exists. If yes, then move on to our next solution.
2. Clean WinSxS Folder
Cleaning WinSxS folder junk can even help you resolve problems related to error code 0x800f0988. You can take the assistance of Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) for the same. Here is how:
1. Press Windows + S key jointly to launch the Search window on your device.
2. After that, type ‘cmd’ to open the Command prompt.
3. Right-tap on it to launch the context menu. Select “Run As Administrator” here.
4. Next, tap on the Yes button on the UAC prompt window to authenticate your actions.
5. Afterward, in the newly displayed windows, type “dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup” and hit the Enter key.
6. Let the process complete now.
7. Restart your PC, then check if you can install the update now.
3. Remove Additional Languages
In many cases, it is even noticed that removing the additional languages has also provided workable solutions. Follow the below listed simple and easy steps to fix error 0x800f0988 on your Windows 10 PC.
1. At first, launch the Windows Settings app on your computer by pressing the Windows + I key.
2. Afterward, select the Time & Language option, then choose the Language tab from the left pane.
3. Now refer to the right-pane and choose English (United States) from the Preferred Languages section.
4. Remove the other default languages by tapping on the remove button adjacent to them.
5. Save the changes, then restart your device.
Now, try to install the Windows updates, also see if the problem is resolved; if not, move on to our next workaround to learn more about fixing error code 0x800f0988.
4. Reset Windows Update Component
Doing this will also help you seamlessly download updates. Let’s see how it works.
1. Open Task Manager on your PC by right-tapping on the Taskbar.
2. From the Task Manager window, choose the File menu followed by the ‘Run New Task’ option.
3. Now type cmd to create a new task. You can even refer to the ‘Create this task with administrator privilege box for the same.’
4. On the next page, type the below-mentioned commands:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
After typing each command, hit Enter. By doing this will disable some background services.
5. Now the next step is to rename the catroot2 & SoftwareDistribution folder. For this, enter the below-mentioned commands:
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
6. Now restart the services that you earlier disabled. Use the below-mentioned commands for this, and must remember to tap Enter after each command.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptSvc
net start msiserver
7. Now wait for a while until the process is complete, restart your device & try installing the pending Windows 10 updates again.
If none of the above solutions or workarounds have worked for you, you can try resetting your Windows 10 PC. Here is how you can do it.
5. Reset Windows 10 to Resolve Error 0x800f0988
It is another helpful method that you can use to fix error 0x800f0988 on Windows 10.
1. From the Start Menu, tap on the ‘Reset this PC’ button.
2. From the right panel, tap on the Recovery tab, followed by the ‘Get started’ button.
3. In the newly displayed window, tap on the ‘Keep my files’ option and then press the Next button.
4. Now press Reset.
5. Afterward, restart your device to apply the changes and try installing the updates on your system.
Error Code 0x800f0988 on Windows 10 PC: Fixed
The solutions or workarounds, as mentioned above, will solve the issues related to error 0x800f0988. Try and see which methods best suit you.
Dear Readers, I sincerely hope that these methods will help you update your Windows computer effortlessly, without any discomfort.