Minecraft has been a revolutionary game in modern times. Minecraft is a virtual open world video game where players can dig, build, mine, & enchant things. The sheer potential in the game and caused worldwide acclaim is a massive milestone in the gaming community. Designing towns, arenas, cities, and even entire worlds have never been more engaging!
Whether your old computer is starting to give out, you are switching computers, or you want to take your Minecraft to your next PC, you’ll want to know how to reinstall Minecraft properly.
In this article, I’ll show you how to uninstall Minecraft Windows 10 and then reinstall it without further ado. If you want a fresh start to the game, we will explain how you can do that.
How do I uninstall and reinstall Minecraft
For starters, you should know that there are many techniques you can learn how to delete Minecraft, but in this post, we will talk specifically about how we prefer to do it. A simple, easy, & effective way.
Note: To reinstall Minecraft smoothly, it is important not to delete or remove the launcher file (with the “.exe” extension). It is the file you use to start the game. Your launcher does not contain any data by itself, and we’ll need it later. If you have already or accidentally deleted the launcher, you can go to the official Minecraft website & download it again.
Here is an easy step-by-step guide on how this works
1. To start, we are going to delete Minecraft. Open up your command runner in Windows by pressing the Windows key & the “R” button;
2. Type in “%appdata%” (you can copy and paste this command without the speech marks). After you hit the “Enter” key, you’ll enter into what’s known as the “Roaming” folder;
3. In this folder, navigate to the file or the app you are trying to reinstall. Since we are looking to uninstall Minecraft for now, open up that folder completely;
4. Here is where you can prevent your worlds from being deleted. Find the folder named “saves” and copy it anywhere out of “Roaming” (the “Desktop” is recommended so that it is easier to find later). It’ll help us recover data once we reinstall Minecraft;
5. Return to the “Roaming” folder and delete the folder for Minecraft;
6. Run your Minecraft launcher. In case you accidentally deleted it, you can download it again from the official Minecraft website as mentioned above;
7. Follow the simple on-screen instructions & wait for the installation process to finish;
8. The game may launch automatically once it is finished installing. Close the launcher. First, we’re going to recover your previous worlds;
9. Copy & Paste the “Saves” folder into the Minecraft folder in the “Roaming” directory. If you have already closed this, you can open it up again. Refer to Step 2. You’ll be prompted by Windows for a confirmation asking if you want to overwrite the files. Say yes to everything;
10. Launch the game.
Congratulations! You’ve just learned how to uninstall Minecraft on Windows 10, & then reinstall it without losing any of your data! Of course, the process works differently if you are looking to delete Minecraft on a Mac or another platform.
Does uninstalling Minecraft delete worlds?
You probably be worried about that, but the answer is no! At least, not with the method we mentioned.
Other methods to reinstall Minecraft
We mentioned earlier that there are numerous ways you can learn how to reinstall Minecraft. If you do not fancy our preferred method, here are some other methods you can accomplish the same task:
Completely uninstall Minecraft: If you are looking for a fresh start, then you do not need the hassle of saving your files. You can access the control panel on Windows 10 and go to “Uninstall a program.” This menu can also be directly located & opened form the search box. Once the pop-up menu is shown, find the app then double-click to uninstall Minecraft. Afterward, you can download & reinstall it from the official website or another source.
Uninstaller Apps: You can even use 3rd party apps to delete Minecraft from your PC. The most famous apps like CCleaner have their navigation menus where you can find options to uninstall Minecraft. Most anti-virus software has this feature, so all you need to do is explore a little.
There are plenty of ways & techniques to uninstall and reinstall Minecraft. No matter which one you choose, you will end up with a new app that’s ready for your creative talents to be explored.
To reiterate, now that you know how you reinstall Minecraft, there is no need to anxious about losing data if you follow the mentioned steps. Uninstalling Minecraft doesn’t necessarily delete any of your progress in the game, either. You can choose to create a copy of your saved data in the game at any point, and use it later to restore your data.